By Eva Kalavri
Dark circles under the eyes are a common issue that concerns women and men. They affect our appearance and psychology as they make us look tired, sad and old.
They appear for many reasons and there are a variety of remedies, both home and medical – interventional to help reduce the appearance of dark circles and prevent their recurrence.
First of all, let’s emphasize that the skin around the eyes is quite sensitive, so it is better to resort to natural treatments and specially designed cosmetics, paying attention to the chemical ingredients. In addition, we should be in contact with our doctor and consult him in any case.
Before trying any treatment, it would be good to look for the cause of appearance of dark circles in us personally, which will also help in finding the appropriate treatment.
The most common causes are:
- Lack of sleep, poor sleep quality
- Heredity / Genes
- Certain types of allergies
- Smoking and drinking alcohol
- Iron deficiency (anemia)
- Excessive sun exposure
- Dehydration / Eye strain
- Overfatigue / Hangover
- Sudden – extreme weight loss
As you understand, the range of causes is large enough for there to be a unique treatment…!
To the extent that we can, through natural means or behavioural and lifestyle changes, improve the appearance of dark circles, there are several options to try:
- We avoid smoking and alcohol
- We improve our sleep routine
- We reduce the use of screens
- Stay hydrated by drinking more water and including plenty of fruits and vegetables in our diet
- We apply eye creams and masks, depending on our skin type
- We apply cold tea bags:
Soak green tea or chamomile tea bags and put them in the fridge. We gently apply them to our eyes and let them act for 10-15 minutes.
- Rose water could help and act as a tonic as well. Apply gently and carefully with cotton (compressors) for 10-15 minutes.
- Cucumber slices. Perhaps the most popular way to rest our eyes is chilled cucumber slices. Simple and effective!
- Elevating our head while sleeping… with pillows, we keep our head slightly elevated to avoid swelling in the eyes.
- Make-up and concealer: we choose quality products and pay attention to expiry dates. Cosmetics and make-up products that have expired or remain without caps, exposed to dust and heat, can cause irritation and infections in our skin.
There are many medical treatments, from peeling to laser for tightening and regeneration. For these types of interventional treatments consult your doctor and ask how painful they can be, if they offer a permanent result and how long it will take to heal.
If you try any of these and see results, please share them with us!
Stay with A2SK Beauty & Home to learn more!